Drinking and driving remains a serious problem across the world. Many people are killed or injured due to drunken driving. Study says that male drivers 22- 45 years old are responsible for almost 50% of all drunken driving crashes.
Getting behind the wheel of a car or motorized vehicle after drinking is considered a crime. It is referred to as Drinking under influence or driving while intoxicated. Any small amount of alcohol in your blood stream can affect your driving ability and result in harmful situations.
Harmful Effects of Drunken Driving
- Slow reaction time – Drinking alcohol has profound effects on driving skills. It affects the alertness and the ability to make quick decisions in rapidly changing situations on the road. It slows your response time. If a pedestrian crosses the street, it will take longer time for the brain to process the situation and prevent an accident.
- Alcohol affects your body`s responses. It slows down your brain and this result in accidents. Alcohol slows down the reflexes and this in turn decreases the driver`s ability to react swiftly to changing situations.
- Decreases Vision – Drinking results in blurred vision as alcohol slows eye muscle function, alters eye movement and visual perception.
- Reduces Concentration – Alcohol may affect concentration levels of the driver as it leads to drowsiness. It affects your judgment and reasoning. One fails to judge the distance between the car and other vehicles on the road.
- Inhibits judgment – Drinking can make one lose the ability to judge the vehicle`s position on the road, road signs, center lines and position of other vehicles. Driver needs to see potential problems and make clear decisions if another car cuts in between. Losing this ability leads to accidents and fatal deaths.
- Drinking makes the driver lose the ability to make rational decisions and stay balanced.
- Lack of co-ordination – Drivers` uses their eyes, feet and hands to control the car. Alcohol consumption beyond a limit affects the motor skills and reduces the co-ordination of feet, hand and eyes of the driver.
- Alcohol can start affecting the senses even after one drink. Blood alcohol content level of 0.08% is considered legally impaired. Under no circumstances should one drink and drive. For example, when the blood alcohol content is 0.02 %, it affects your driving by producing effects like lack of judgment, increased relaxation, mood swings, inability to multi task, decreased visual functionality and slightly increased body temperature.
Drinking Alcohol in UAE
It is very important to remember that any form of drinking and driving in UAE is illegal and comes with strict punishment. Driving with any amount of alcohol in your system is illegal and subjected to immediate arrest, hefty fines and imprisonment. Drinking or being drunk in public is illegal in UAE.
Licensing laws in UAE require venues serving liquor be attached to hotels or private clubs. It is an offense to buy alcohol without Liquor license. Liquor license in UAE is issued only to UAE residents and non-Muslim residents. You need to have a liquor license to drink alcohol at home and in licensed venues in UAE.