Despite our busy lives today, it is important that we make time to visit our dentist for a health checkup and cleaning on a regular basis. If you take care of your smile, you have a good chance of being spared from getting dentures or going through expensive dental procedures. Aside from giving you obvious benefits on aesthetics, below are some of its equally important benefits.
- Maintain good health. Recent studies have linked heart attack and stroke to gum disease. The correlation between these health problems are not yet clear, but regular teeth cleaning can decrease your risk of developing heart disease or having a stroke.
- Prevent gum disease. Plaque buildup can lead to periodontal or gum disease. Also, plaque contains bacteria that can irritate your gums and cause inflammation.
- Keep the teeth. Poor oral hygiene can lead to advanced gum disease where supporting bones can be destroyed as plaque spreads to the roots of the teeth. Regular cleaning can help protect the integrity of your teeth.
- Prevent halitosis. Bad breath is caused by stuck food particles, gum disease or poor oral hygiene. Regular checkups and teeth cleaning is very effective in maintaining good oral hygiene.
- Have whiter smile. Getting your teeth regularly cleaned will remove stubborn stains caused by tea, coffee, wine and other products. There are also certain medications that can discolor the teeth.
With regular dental health checkups, your dentist can detect potential problems that you might know of. Unless you have an obvious cavity and feel pain, you might have issues that you are not aware of. In a routine checkup, your dentist might do the following:
- Examine your tongue, throat, face, neck and head. Strange as it may seem, examining all these can help your dentist detect signs of potential trouble like swelling or cancer.
- Check for plaque and tartar build-up. When not removed, plaque becomes tartar which is hard to remove with regular flossing and brushing. Plaque can progress to gum disease, giving rise to a host of health problems.
- Check for cavities. There are cavities that you cannot detect, like those in between teeth. Early detection allows for early treatment, saving your tooth from decaying.
- Examine the gums. Your gums are a big indicator of your dental and overall health. Dentist use a tool to measure spaces between gums and teeth to check for gum disease.
Now that you know the importance of regular dental health checkups, you should now be more determined to keep up with your visits to the dental clinic. Contact a reputable dentist in your area now and schedule your appointment.
About D. Dental:
- Dental is a top dental services provider in The Colony, TX. Using the latest in dental techniques and equipment, Dr. Ryan Daniel and his team offers a wide range of general and cosmetic dental services to help their patients achieve a beautiful and healthy smile.